Who is the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Programme suitable for?
If you are interested in a Mindfulness course that supports you to take an active role in your health and well-being; if you are ready to learn how to integrate mindfulness more into your daily life; if you are willing to commit to a weekly class for a period of 8 weeks and to listen to and follow a daily mindfulness practice during that time, then this is the course for you. There is no upper age limit for this mindfulness course, but it would help if you were over 18 years.
The course is perfectly suitable for beginners as well as those who already have a foundation in mindfulness practices.
Unfortunately, there are currently no MBSR courses scheduled. If you would like a referral to one of my colleagues who may currently be offering an MBSR course, you are welcome to contact me here and I would be happy to help you with further information.
Does MBSR work ONLINE?
I have been certified by East Coast Mindfulness, USA to deliver Mindfulness courses ONLINE.
I have adapted the content of the MBSR course so that you will be able to experience the richness of the programme through an online format yielding the same benefits as those offered by participation in an in-person course. Plus there is the added benefit of taking part in the course from the comfort of your own home!!
About the MBSR course:
The MBSR course is an in-depth, educational mindfulness course that runs over an 8-week period.
Extensive research world-wide has shown that MBSR, devised by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn in 1979, is beneficial to people with a range of medical conditions that cause physical, mental and emotional challenges to people’s well-being. This research clearly indicates that the MBSR programme can greatly assist those experiencing chronic pain, high blood pressure, psychological distress, including anxiety, panic, depression, fatigue, sleep disturbances, eating imbalances and much more.
However, you may not be ill but simply feel stressed, overworked, overwhelmed and exhausted. If so, then this MBSR can support you to find some ease in your life and an enhanced sense of well-being.
Practical course details:
- An orientation session in advance of course start date.
- 2 ½ hour class once a week for 8 weeks.
- One full retreat day, held on a weekend.
- Recommended 45 minutes of daily practice using 4 audio recordings of mindfulness practices guided by Susan.
- An opportunity to meet with a diverse and supportive group of people.
To benefit fully from the MBSR programme it really helps if you make a commitment to attend each class and the retreat practice day.
What can I expect to be doing on the MBSR course?
The MBSR curriculum is carefully designed to support you from week to week to practice at home between classes, using audio recordings with Mindfulness practices, guided by myself.
- Learning formal mindfulness meditation practices such as mindful breathing, sitting meditation, guided body scan meditation, and gentle movement in a relaxed and supported way.
- Learning about the effects of stress on our bodies and minds.
- Exploring patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving and their relationship to stress.
- Developing strategies for applying mindfulness in your daily home and work life.
- Taking part in each class which will include periods of quiet practice, group dialogue and teacher input.
- Practising in the good company of a supportive group of people who are committed to learning and practising mindfulness.
Please note that this mindfulness course is not the same as group therapy and you will not be under any pressure to disclose personal information.
What you will need for your online course
- A laptop or computer with a functioning camera, microphone and speakers.
- A reliable and reasonably high-speed internet connection.
- We’ll be using Zoom, a video conferencing application that you can sign up with for free. Zoom needs to be downloaded to your computer in advance. If you haven’t yet opened a free Zoom account, you can click HERE to do so and to find out more about Zoom.
- A quiet space in your home where you can take some time out without being disturbed.
- Note: If you’re attending this course, please make sure you’ve filled out your MBSR application form, thank you.